avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: org.apache.cocoon.components.language.programming.java package]
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 09:28:17 GMT
Peter,

>>I don't know if it is replaced by another class/entry point, I just know
>>that when I use JDK 1.4 I get a deprecation warnings when compiling the
>>classes.
>>
>>Invoking compilers dynamically has always been a bit of a hack, because
>>
>>there is no direct interface to the compiler class--you have to go through
>>the command line.  Any time you rely on com.sun.* you run the risk of
>>seeing the classes change due to restructuring.  There is no contract
>>beyond what they expose to you (i.e. the command line).
>>
>>Also, the Jikes compiler works quite well....
>>

>Another idea maybe refactoring the ant stuff re compiling.

Is this an option dude?  Could the Ant javac invoker be used as it (i.e.
instantiating org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac and execute()ing it in
situ) ?  Could it be that your forthcoming myrmidon is worth waiting for?

We really need the ability to compile Java on the server side of
AvalonDB ....

Regards,

- Paul H