avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Examples directory for Excalibur
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:59:45 GMT
On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:30, Leif Mortenson wrote:
> One option that I was thinking of was to have an examples wide build.xml
> file in the root which contains an init-jars task. This task could be
> called by the various examples' builds. Its job would be to look for the
> required jars and copy them into a build directory within the
> jakarta-avalon-examples project. It would first copy the files from the
> tools/ext directory, then try copying them from the various build
> directories. By doing this, the examples would always have an up to date
> copy of the jars to work with.

Personally I would prefer that there is an ant.properties or build.properties
file that contains the mapping between the name of jar and the location of
the jar. They could have defaults that used either the jars in the tools/ext
directory or they could use newly created jars. So you end up with

framework.jar=../../jakarta-avalon/tools/ext/avalon-framework.jar
excalibur-cli.jar=../../jakarta-avalon/tools/ext/excalibur-cli.jar
excalibur-naming.jar=../../jakarta-avalon/tools/ext/excalibur-naming.jar

etc.

See the project.properties file in phoenix CVS for an example.

> 2)
> In addition to the init task, the project build.xml file would have a
> docs task which would look for src/documentation directories in each of
> the example applications and then build a common documentation set. This
> documentation set could then be added to the jakarta-avalon-site
> directory for inclusion in the Avalon website.

+1

Works for me ;)

--
Cheers,