avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DefaultRoleManager in Cornerstone
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2002 08:36:07 GMT
On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:08, MCCAY,LARRY (HP-NewJersey,ex2) wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Is there still effort needed in the area of security?

yep ;)

> I would be interested in helping here.

And we'd be interested in seeing you help here ;)

Theres definetly some space there for you to make something very useful. SOme
of the things that we have identified the need for in the past is

* Identity Manager with pluggable Realms: ie basically list of users and
some attributes about them (from generic attributes like email address to
domain specific attributes). It would als be nice to be able to have
pluggable realms so that we could load users from the "Unix" realm, NT
domain, properties files, xml files, database, ldap etc - Of course you don't
need to do this all straight away ;)
* RoleManager: Maps users/identitys to Roles - ie Fred is an administrator,
Wilma is a user
* Authority Manager: ie does role X have permission to do Y
* Authentication Manager: ie essentially hookup with JAAS in a flexible
manner.

You will notice this has a sort of J2EE flavour - this was largely
intentional and theres probably lots more useful information in the J2EE
Blueprints.

I think Paul has looked at this sort of thing more recently. If you are up
for having a go at this it may be interesting to integrate this with DB or
the James server just to see test it out and all ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete