avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Phoenix Blocks as MBeans
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2002 02:17:47 GMT
On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:44, Fred Yeomans wrote:
> Is it currently possible to expose Phoenix Blocks as MBeans? All of the
> blocks in my app have static MBean interfaces, but I cannot see how to make
> Phoenix register them as MBeans in the MBeanServer.

It wasn't possible a few hours ago but it is now ;) The way I have it
currently set up is the following. In your BlockInfo file you add something
like the following

<!-- services that are exposed to management interface by block -->
<management>
  <service name="org.apache.avalon.MyManagementService" version="1.0" />
</management>

And then when Phoenix loads (and you have enabled --remote-manager) it will
have the block exported to MBeanServer and all the methods defined by
specified service will be available through MBeanServer.

If you are using the RMI interface for remote administration then there is an
additional requirement - all the parameters must be serializable. Other than
that you should be good to go.

The beans are currently registered under the name like

Phoenix:application=MyApplication,name=MyBlock,role=org.apache.avalon.MyManagementService

Anyways it seems to all work fine. A few issues though, <management> is a
really bad term and I hope to think of a better one in the future so that
may/will be changed in the future.  Also I am not sure about the name under
which it is registered - still thinking about that.

Anyways if you have any requests/demands/suggestions then feel free to send
them along :)

--
Cheers,

Pete