avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Divergence from Avalon (was Re: [RT] Is Poolable Harmful?)
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2002 22:20:27 GMT
On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 07:48, Paulo Gaspar wrote:
> Why does putting a String and a Context instead of an Object transmit
> more knowledge.

Because the string is meant to indicate a Role which in turn specifies an
interface.

> It is all in what you do with it.
>
> I could call lookup like this:
>   c = cm.lookup("$#@))(sdjhfkjh");

This would violate Avalons design as "$#@))(sdjhfkjh" is not a valid role
name. All CMs would through a ComponentException (or should).

The string passed in tends to look like

com.biz.MyInterface

or optionally

com.biz.MyInterface/SOmeOtherMagicValueAtEndAfterSlash

> I like very much this structure.

Its almost there already - except we use different names for it. Context ==
what you call CM and CM is what you called ServiceManager.

The only missing thing is Context passed into ServiceManager where now we
require it to be serialized to a string and tacked ont to end of Role string

--
Cheers,

Pete