avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <jeremias.mae...@outline.ch>
Subject Logging in Avalon: CascadingThrowable and getTime/GetRTime in LogKit
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:12:03 GMT
I'm still not fully comfortable with the logging in Avalon. The reason
is that I can't get CascadingThrowables and the new getTime/getRTime
functionality to work at the same time. I'd like to change
org.apache.avalon.framework.AvalonFormatter, but before I do this, I'd
like to get your approval.

AvalonFormatter currently contains a method getTime() that masks the new
features recently introduced in LogKit CVS. I see two possibilities to
resolve this:
1. To maintain backwards compatibility I could snip out getStackTrace()
and create a parent class to AvalonFormatter (ex.
CascadingExPatternFormattern. Give me a better name if you have one!).
AvalonFormatter would then only contain a getTime() method.
2. If the current getTime() method is not so important, we could just
delete it. (I prefer that one)

On top of that I would like to change
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.factory.FormatterFactory so it can
set a "depth" property (See ExceptionUtil) for the AvalonFormatter (or
its base class) to control the rendering of exceptions.

Thanks!

Cheers
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Fon +41 (41) 317 2020 - Fax +41 (41) 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch