avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: Configuration that supports mixed content
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 04:37:06 GMT
On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 07:36:43PM -0800, Scott Sanders wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am a committer over at the commons, and I currently have a need to do
> xml-based configuration based on mixed content xml.  Currently Digester
> cannot handle mixed content without significant interface change, and
> Paolo Gaspar (sp?) pointed me to the avalon cvs repo, specifically
> org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.

People are very touchy about the configuration API ;) Mixed content has
been ruled out before, as it would complicate what is currently a nice,
simple API. The theory is that if you want mixed content, use
JDOM/dom4j/something else.

> Is there something better than this that might be experimental (Peter,
> this is directed at you with Myrmidon)?
>
> Is anyone interested/willing to let me pull it out into commons and make
> it a fully standalone component?

If you have an idea of what you want the Configuration interface to look
like, I could help fork the Avalon code to meet your needs, since I'm
quite familiar with it.

--Jeff