avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Stary <jsta6...@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
Subject starting up
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2002 16:45:25 GMT
Hello,

[this should prob'ly be read with 'Developing with Apache Avalon' in hand]

I am trying to get Avalon to work.
I went through the DwAA, wrote the classes,
and now I seem to be missing the one last step:
How do I actuall _use_ them in a *.jsp page?
I call the Container (viz DwAA), which (I think) should in turn
instantiate/compose/configure/initialize all the components as described
in config.xml

-- cut --

<%@ page language="java" session="true"%>

<jsp:useBean id="container" scope="session"
class="net.templation.casopis.clanky.ContainerComponent"/>

initializing container ... <% container.initialize();%> done

-- cut --

It goes well till the
this.manager.configure(sysConfig)
call in container.initialize(), which throws NullPointerException. Why?

And after I, let's say, get over this, plus
this.manager.initialize(), the components are instantiated/composed/... ?
And my tiny little .jsp can continue as follows ?

-- cut --

<jsp:useBean id="repository" scope="session"
class="net.templation.casopis.clanky.DatabaseRepository"/>

<%
	id = request.getParameter("id");
	repository.FetchSomethingFromDatabase(id);
%>

-- cut --

And can I call the 'documents' component-instance (as described in system.xconf)
which (I think) is already set up for me, after the
container.initialize()? From where can I call it?

Thank you very much and please excuse a newbie's ignorance.

Jan