avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Armi - Alternate to RMI (Commons-scratchpad)
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2002 08:07:38 GMT
On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:55, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've been working quite a bit in the Commons project on the ARMI tool.
>  First off, it has to be renamed - ARMI is used by an academic group as
> "Asynchonous RMI".  Secondly I'm not getting huge approval (in one case
> outright hostility)

im not surprised ;)

> there - I do not know if there will be a consensus
> of +1s by committers when it comes to move ARMI from 'sandbox' to 'main'.

one of the joys of commons. People who don't work on the code get voting
rights. Fun - aint it?

> What we don't know at this stage (making the massive assumption that
> Peter, Berin et al are as keen as I am) is how much we use ARMI.  We
> could easily create a Cornerstone block that is geared towards the two
> remote publications impls (sockets and RMI).  We could also, as outlined
> above, allow Phoenix to directly (under configuration) use ARMI to allow
> one block to <depend> on a service of others irrespective of the
> location of that service.  It could nearly seamlessly mesh into the
> current org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentManager API.

I don't think it is time to put it inside the Phoenix "kernel" just yet and
have not yet reached a stable point in ClassLoader etc arrangement. If you
want to have an exporter Block then great ;) It would also be possible to add
a BlockListener that automagiocally published different Blocks into the ARMI
exporter.

I don't have time to play atm but it sounds neat.
--
Cheers,

Pete