avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "MCCAY,LARRY (HP-NewJersey,ex2)" <lawrence_mccay-...@hp.com>
Subject Security - AAA implementation [was RE: DefaultRoleManager in Cor nerstone]
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:00:09 GMT
Hello all,

I am hoping to propose an implementation of AAA Security functionality for
Phoenix.

Based on a breif discussion with Peter (below), the design would have a J2EE
flavor for roles-based access control.

Some of the components to make up the implementation would be:
	* Identity Manager for access to user identity and attribute
information through disperate user registries.
	* Pluggable Realms to abstract the underlying user registry access -
initially XMLRealm, JDBCRealm, JNDIRealm
	* Role Manager for managing the mapping of identity principals to
roles/permissions
	* Authority Manager for making access decisions for specific users
to specific resources
	* Authentication Manager - verfies the identity of user against the
user registry - one concrete implementation would be an abstraction of the
use of JAAS.
	* Auditing Manager for recording relevant security related events
	* Administration interfaces to be exposed through JMX

The initial test-bed will be the AvalonDB application.

Any thoughts on this approach?

Thanks,

--Larry