avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Mircea Toma" <mirceat...@home.com>
Subject Re: BlockListener needs more methods
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:31:55 GMT
Hi Paul,

How about having a publishing service interface. This way you can have
blocks implementing different publishing schemes. JMX, RMI, SOAP, JNDI, Jini
(I would love this one), and AltRMI ;) are all good candidates to integrate
Avalon with other technologies. I think it makes sense to have publishing
service instead of a component because usually you publish object just for
another framework within an application.

The interface would be very similar with the one from SystemManager in
Phoenix:

public interface PublishingService
{
    void register( Object name, Object object, Class[] interfaces )
        throws PublishingException, IllegalArgumentException;

    void register( Object name, Object object )
        throws ManagerException, IllegalArgumentException;

    void unregister( Object name )
        throws ManagerException;
}

for different schemes, name Object can be :

JMX     -> ObjectName
SOAP    -> relative URL
JNDI    -> String
Jini    -> ServiceItem