avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Neeme Praks" <ne...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [excalibur] XmlBundle and co, status ?
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2001 08:50:02 GMT

very nice :-)

> Thus the questions :
>
> * What is the state of XmlBundle ? Is it working functionnally ? Are there
> features not implemented yet that I shouldn't use ? Any known bugs ?

well, I have some pending commits to do, to finalize the BundleMatcher
facility and write some different BundleLoader implementations
(bundle-per-file vs. many-bundles-per-file).
I'm not sure if it works right now, haven't tried yet in any "real"
application.

Also I want to take advantage of the new components that were/are migrated
over from Cocoon (Source, XmlConsumer, etc).

> * I'd like to use it in a production application. Anything I should know :
> performance wise or stability wise ? :)

well, the implementation isn't finished yet, so it is not 100% stable
implementation-wise :-)

> * Is there a plan to use is for managing the Excalibur Component
> Manager xml files ?
> * Is there a plan to replace org.apache.avalon.configuration.Configuration
> by Bundle in the future (so that components can use Xpath like queries) ?

No, Bundle support is there just for i18n purposes (at least at this stage).
How do you see that it could help the management of the Excalibur Component
Manager xml files or why would you want to run XPath queries on
org.apache.avalon.configuration.Configuration? AFAIK, the configuration
system is on purpose designed not to allow this kind of things (to keep it
simple and avoid people shooting themselves in the foot).

Maybe you would like to join in with all the Bundle stuff? Any help is
always welcome (testing, docs, patches, etc.) :-)
Would like to finally get the i18n stuff out of scratchpad, for the others
to see and use...

Rgds,
Neeme