avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] ComponentValidator
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2001 16:46:25 GMT
Berin, Peter,

I'm not very worried about the security aspects of the ComponentValidator class. Like Peter,
I see the battle as lost when a malicious component has entered the system, and I do not see
that as enough reason to increase code complexity.

However, I am much more concerned with buggy containers. The case could be made that a test
case for containers would solve this, and I think Peter is completely right in that. Such
a test case *is* needed. There's no argument against it.

But it is also considered good practice to add assertions throughout the code, to catch things
that "can not" happen, and I see the ComponentValidator as a tool for that.

Assertions provide a nice fail-fast, and aids in debugging.

(Regarding UNIX file permissions: I see the security aspect of them, but to me they are also
protection against users inadvertently deleting the wrong files. I have had much more work
related to user screwups than cracker assaults. The neat thing is that I get protection from
both from file permissions. ComponentValidator does the same - primarily I get faster debugging
and better regression tests, and if it stops some component hell-bent on destruction as well,
then that is good.)

/LS