avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: org.apache.cocoon.components.language.programming.java package]
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2001 18:46:51 GMT
Paul Hammant wrote:

> Berin
>
>> I will personally go on record as saying that I am never in favor of a
>> system that compiles on the fly.  Too many things can go wrong.  That is
>> one of the reasons that I am in favor of the interpreted sitemap
>> initiative
>> in the Cocoon CVS.
>>
>> I will also strongly warn you that no JDBC driver should ever require
>> a compiler to be installed on the clients machine.  If you require that,
>> then your driver is broken.
>>
>> That said, if you want to perform this compilation step for prepared
>> statements,
>> then you would benefit by Cocoon's compiler invoker.
>

> Who said anything about client side.  You should spend a little more
> time learning what we have doen and where we are going.

I'm just saying....

Honestly, I am interested in the Avalon DB project.  I just haven't the
time to learn about it right now.  I need to land a nice cushy R&D job
where I can spend 40 hours a week working on Avalon and Company ;)

>> Be warned that the compiler class is deprecated in JDK 1.4!
>

> This is enough to kill it.

I don't know if it is replaced by another class/entry point, I just know
that when I use JDK 1.4 I get a deprecation warnings when compiling the
classes.

Invoking compilers dynamically has always been a bit of a hack, because

there is no direct interface to the compiler class--you have to go through
the command line.  Any time you rely on com.sun.* you run the risk of seeing
the classes change due to restructuring.  There is no contract beyond what
they expose to you (i.e. the command line).

Also, the Jikes compiler works quite well....

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin