avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LogEnabled
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2001 15:13:54 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

>>>While migrating cocoon to LogEnabled I realized that not even
>>>Excalibur is LogEnabled yet. So question is how to do a smooth
>>>transition? Anyone a migration plan yet? (IMHO there should be
>>>one before deprecating anything)
>>>

>>There is.  Current CVS can handle LogEnabled Components--but it would
>>be backwards incompatible to change the interfaces that
>>ExcaliburComponentManager implements--especially since it is directly
>>manipulated by Cocoon and other Containers.
>>

> AFAI can see the current ExcaliburComponentManager still extends
> AbstractLoggable instead of AbstractLogEnabled. So what about
> a wrapper that wrapps around the ExcaliburComponentManager to
> have a LogEnabled version of it? Cocoon (or other migrating projects)
> can then use the new LogEnabled interface.
> When migration is finished we can remove this iterim solution.

In order for this to work, you will need access to a LogKit logger for
legacy components.  It is *Impossible* to get a LogKit Logger from an
Avalon Logger wrapper.  Really, unless you can come up with a more
elegant solution, I don't think that will work.

> [snip]
>
> ...sounds cool - do you propose to wait migrating to LogEnabled 'til the
> rewriting is finished?

For your components, convert.  The ExcaliburComponentManager in CVS can handle
the mixture--allowing for Legacy Components.  For the root Cocoon object,
don't convert just yet.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin