avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon example
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2001 14:22:00 GMT
Pavel Kolesnikov wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>

>>Jan Stary wrote:
>>
>>>Is there some place where I could download such a thing? A minimal but working
>>>example of Avalon-powered page with few components, running above Tomcat? I
>>>found nothing like that on jakarta.apache.org
>>>
>>"Page" suggests you mean a web application. This is not possible with
>>Avalon out-of-the-box, but there are certainly many ways to realize a
>>web application. There are several working examples in cornerstone (e.g.
>>an FTP Server), did you download that?
>>

> I have similar beginner's question about Avalon.
>
> When I looked at Jakarta project, Avalon and Excalibur seemed be
> a nice framework for creating small server side Java applications
> - component management konfigurable by nice XML config file,
> features like connection pooling - it's exactly what I was looking
> for.

We're glad to hear it.  But you don't have to limit Avalon to the
server side....

> I supposed it's possible to build something simple on Avalon
> only, because Phoenix seemed to be too heavy beast for simple
> tasks. (BTW cocoon is build on Avalon only, not Phoenix, doesn't
> it?)

You are correct.  Cocoon is Avalon only, and Phoenix is a kernel.
Phoenix/Cornerstone are used for creating servers.  Keep in mind
that while Cocoon's architecture is very simple and plugable, it
is far from a simple example.

If you want to create a Servlet, the Servlet becomes your parent
Container where all the initialization occurs.

 From there on in, you can use the ComponentManager to get the references
of all the Components you need for any specific task.

> Do you think I'm wrong and I should look at Phoenix instead of
> Avalon and Excalibur only?

It depends on what you are doing.  Avalon Framework, Excalibur, and
LogKit are flexible enough to use in any environment.  Once you start
diving into Phoenix/Cornerstone you are diving into the world of
creating servers.  There are places for special purpose servers,
and I wrote one from scratch (before I knew about Avalon).  It was
simple, and lacked a great number of features--all of which could be
filled in by Phoenix.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin