avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject XMLRPC block
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:27:13 GMT
What would people think of a Phoenix service/block that used XMLRPC from
our sister site?

   http://xml.apache.org/xmlrpc/

We could have a factory that publishes a service or interface over HTTP
and a binding on the client side that turns the same interface calls
into RPC calls.  The example code seems quite cumbersome, but I have a
feeling that if the interface only uses standard class types, we could
have hide the XMLRPC implementation behind java interfaces and use
reflection at runtime on both sides to build the method lists.  XMLRPC
also forces two exception to be handled on the client side
(XmlRpcException and IOException), but I think they could be rethrown as
a custom derivative of RuntimeException (like Glue does).  The
difference with this is that we can place the XMLRPC jars in CVS (they
are Apache jars).

Perhaps an important factor is need.  Do we really need this if we are
going to have native RMI solution along the same lines.  At least for
the Soapification service there is the realistic possibility of non-java
clients.

Opinions?

Regards,

- Paul H