avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: RMI capability for services
Date Sun, 16 Dec 2001 10:41:13 GMT
Peter,

>>I'm refactoring FtpServer (apologies for size of commits).  This has
>>basically meant making more blocks.  As a consequence some interfaces
>>becoming services have had to changed so they are not longer remote
>>interfaces.  Instead I have created a second interface that does extend
>>Remote and and Adapter class (like dyn proxy) that makes a suitable RMI
>>capable interface for the service.  I'm raising this because it overlaps
>>with the core changes, and think your advise at this stage might be useful.
>>

>Just had a look - looks good. Phoenix will eventually allow you to do this
>sort of thing dynamically (ie just specify remote interface and it will
>automagically create adaptor) but that is a long time off for now.

So the starting point is a Service interface that already extends Remote
and specifies RemoteException on each method... OR a normal interface
that can be remote adapted? dynamically.

I ask because I've been splitting Ranas services into pure interfaces
and Remote versions for use over the wire.  I unilaterally felt it to be
unclean to have Remote specified at service level ... it was forcing
other in-machine blocks to handle RemoteException (and you know how much
I hate that).

Regards,

- Paul H