avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Synergies between Avalon and Commons projects ?
Date Sun, 23 Dec 2001 01:19:44 GMT
On Sun, 23 Dec 2001 06:09, Vincent Massol wrote:
> I'd like to have your opinion on the possible synergies between Avalon
> and the Commons projects on reuse and sharing.
>
> Here are some of my thoughts :-)
>
> * Avalon is a service framework

a small part of Avalon is a service framework

> * On the other hand, Commons is geared towards providing context neutral
> libraries which could be used in any context.

not really. Rather than explicit code based typing it relies on code
conventions. It is easier to integrate into existing systems which was why
when commons was initially forming I believe it was me who started vote for
that way and disallowing imports of any framework libs.

> * Thus, one solution could be to put in Commons the bare implementation
> (like the jdbc pool implementation) and put in Avalon a component
> wrapper on top of it (and reference the commons jars).
>
> * Thus, the bare implementation can also be used independently of
> Avalon.

The majority of the components in excalibur are independent of Framework. A
week or two ago I made a proposal to separate distribution of them so I
didn't have to grab all of excalibur to use them.

> What do you think ?

Its nothing that interests me to do - if you want to do it then go for it. As
long as the quality of Avalons components is not degraded (will not accept
making immutable objects mutable just so they can be configuerd as beans)
then theres nothing wrong with it. Actually in the past I have had requests
to reimplement functionality from commons (Turbines property wrapper which I
believe was moved to commons) so in that case it would be good.

--
Cheers,

Pete