avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] upgrading to LogEnabled
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:00:19 GMT
On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:59, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:35, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> > > avalon-dev: Can someone please explain why Logger has moved?
> > > This is giving me some real headaches with the cocoon
> > > integration - since cocoon still uses Loggable with
> > > the different Logger.
> >
> > It wasn't "moved" - it is a new class completely. The new Logger is a
> > facade so that it can be more easily integrated into existing Log system
> > (ie LogKit, Logj, custom toolkits, etc). The old logger was directly tied
> > to the LogKit library.
>
> So I assume the interface has changed,too...

Only minor changes - basically it removed the "management" interface from the
Logger object. A well behaved app probably should not have been using it
anyway so in theory most of the code should compile if you search and rpelace
the following

setLogger --> enableLogging
AbstractLoggable --> AbstractLogEnabled
Loggable --> LogEnabled
org.apache.log.Logger --> org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Logger

The only thing you will need to change manually is where the base Logger is
created in which case you will need to wrap the org.apache.log.Logger object
in a org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.LogKitLogger

--
Cheers,

Pete