avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Phoenix Security
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:40:13 GMT
On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:30, Annasab Sunthe wrote:
> What kind/level of security does phoenix provides?

Phoenix just provides the standard Java2 codebase security. ie What you would
previously define using a java.policy file you can define using
environment.xml in phoenix apps.

I have implemented various security services in the past though have never
been able to release them (as I didn't own the rights to them). From memory I
broke it down into things like

* RoleManagers - maps identities/usernames to roles
* IdentityManager - manages identities/usernames
* AuthenticationManager - how do you authenticate a client as a particular
identity
* PermissionManager - how to manage which roles have which permissions

They largely followed the J2EE recomendations from memory and I had a DB
store, XML store, proeprties store and a LDAP store (though this one was only
half implemented). Eventually they will be reimplemented in Cornerstone but I
haven't got the cycles or motivation to do it right now. Feel free to
volunteer to do it ! :)

--
Cheers,

Pete