avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Date Formatter for LogKitManagement
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 08:10:42 GMT
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 09:55, Chad Stansbury wrote:
> This may or may not be useful to you, but I am currently working on a log
> viewer that will enable you to view and search very large files (up to
> 2,147,483,647 (Integer.MAX_VALUE) lines in length).  Part of its
> functionality allows you to describe the format of the log file so that it
> can properly format whatever fields are contained in the log.  In other
> words, even if you log a timestamp out as a long, you can view it with this
> tool as a formatted date.  This will say you a few precious microseconds
> for each line you write to a log by not having to apply a DateFormat, and
> instead moves the expense of the formatting to the log viewer tool.

Sounds good. One thing though - will you allow import from alternate log
sources. For isntance currently one of our systems logs to syslog and another
is a home-brew log toolkit with funny formats. WOuld I be able to write
adapters to receive log info from them?

Oh and is it realtime or only post mortem? ie do you catch logs as they run
or do you only read the file once? etc.

> I am hoping to make this tool freely available sometime by the end of next
> week (Dec 21).  If you are interested, please shoot me an email.  After I
> get the kinks worked out, I will most likely donate it to Jakarta (if
> they'll have it).  Included are some stripped-down I/O classes that are up
> to 40% faster than their java.io equivalents.

sounds interesting. Will look forward to it.

--
Cheers,

Pete