avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: Applying Avalon in a Servlet Environment
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:21:40 GMT
On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 10:13:34AM +0100, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >
> > I'd have thought that using Avalon in a servlet environment is *the*
> > most common usage. With all the IoC in the Servlet API, Avalon seems a
> > natural fit for writing more complex servlets..
>
> Strange, I'd have thought THE most common usage of Avalon would be with
> Phoenix (blocks and .sar applications and such). Actually what I am
> missing in Phoenix is some way to do HTTP - if we had that, then nobody
> would want or need to use Avalon in a servlet environment. To implement
> a basic HTTP server would be easy, to integrate a more full-featured one
> like Jo! or Tomcat would probably be not quite as easy, but the better
> choice in the long run.

What advantage would Tomcat-in-Phoenix have over Tomcat on it's own? The
contract with the user is still the servlet API, no?

In most environments I've worked in, people have firewalls blocking
pretty much everything except port 80. IMHO, this accounts in no small
part for the success of SOAP. Apache owns port 80; until Phoenix can
talk AJP13, I can't use it (as much as I'd like to!).

Hence my preference for Avalon-in-Tomcat instead of Tomcat-in-Phoenix.

> Here's what I currently do: my Avalon/Phoenix services can be talked to
> over a socket connection and I invented a minimal protocol for that.
> Then I use my socket XSP taglib for Cocoon1 to seamlessly integrate
> these services into a Cocoon webapp. So I don't actually need to do HTTP
> into Phoenix, I just talk over the socket and leave the HTTP
> request/response handling to my webserver. Maybe this is less than
> ideal, but it's there and it works :)

That's neat.. decoupling the "engine" from the "frontend".

--Jeff