avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Development Strategies
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 01:18:09 GMT
On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 06:18, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> After releasing Framework, I want to start adding a new chapter to the
> Developing with Avalon book.  This chapter focuses on strategies used in
> Avalon development.  This includes Logging Strategies, Testing Strategies,
> Parallel Development Strategies, and Security Strategies.

Just FYI. For the tutorial I am writing on Phoenix I have written a basic
server to format java files using jrefactory. ie You submit a file to server,
it formats it if possible. If not failed then formatted version is added to
CVS and not the submitted version.

This is one way to enforce code conventions rather well ;)

Theres also a few other checks I am programming in at the moment (ie make
sure the PR in commit matches a number in bug database and so forth).

> I would like to have more community help on this chapter--but I will slowly
> add to it as I have time.  When there is enough information in the chapter,
> we will officially incorporate it as a Chapter in the Developing with
> Avalon book.

I would *love* to see JDepend integrated into Avalons build. JDepend is a
tool that generates metrics for your java files. So you can tell which
packages are too highly coupled and so forth. It generates reports similar to
junits reports (at least latest Ant CVS does). Very very very useful for
determining the quality of a software product. Any volunteers? ;)

Other things I would love to see is a better "smoke test" for some of our
components that go beyond the unit tests and actually test more complex
interactions and so forth (especially in cornerstone and phoenix and a bit in
excalibur).

Other than that I am happy to have a go though my English may be a little ...
errr... in need of editing ;) So is this kinda going to be a list of sections
like

* Ant best practices wrt to Avalon
* Junit best practices wrt to Avalon
* Nightly builds
* Smoke tests

As well as design sections like
* how to break down logging namespace
* how to create easily testable code
* determining what should be a containers responsibility and what should be a
components responsibility - though I think we may go to war over this one ;)
* when to use declarative structures and when to use procedural
etc

This what you are thinking ?

--
Cheers,