avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [phoenix] Java Native Services for Phoenix
Date Sun, 09 Dec 2001 23:05:23 GMT
On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 07:17, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I've tested it on Windows 2000 Professional with Sun JDK 1.3.1-b24, and
> it works just great (Console and NT Service)! The wrapper.conf works
> without modification.

great.

> I've found some other issues, though:
> - ".ant.properties" is not a valid Windows filename. I had to modify
> build.xml to use "ant.properties" instead. Would it be possible to
> change that? I can already hear you: Oh, these bloody Windozers... :-)

Actually it works fine here. I just rebooted to a clean install of win2k and
could create it fine. I think it must be one of those settings in the file
explorer that I turn off imediately ;)

However most of the rest of jakarta has moved to "build.properties". So if I
can convince the ant peeps to move to build.properties is there any problem
with using that ? The one in the home directory will still be prefixed with a
dot but the one in local directory wont have the dot.

> - At first, I didn't manage to build Phoenix. Framework has moved to
> version 1.4.4 of Xerces. The filename is now "xerces-1.4.4.jar" instead
> of "xerces.jar". Furthermore the JAXP APIs seem to have been extracted
> from the jar into a separate one "xml-apis.jar". "build.xml" will have
> to be adjusted for that. I went around the problem by copying the
> xerces.jar in the jakarta-avalon-phoenix/lib directory to
> jakarta-avalon/tools/lib.

hmmm ... right. Okay - sometime over next week I am going to remove
dependencies on jakarta-avalon\tools and just require you to set up values in
properties files. Hopefully this will all that.

> - Even by adjusting "ant.properties" (and build.xml) I didn't manage to
> make ${xerces.jar} point to something else than ".../xerces.jar" (ex.
> xerces-1.4.4.jar). Is this property something special in Ant or did I
> miss something?

The latest phoenix should have lib\xerces.jar in it and that is the version
prioir to breaking it up.

> By the way: Does anybody know why the Xerces and Xalan people take out
> the JAXP APIs into a separate JAR (xml-apis.jar), while Sun have
> recently combined jaxp.jar and crimson.jar in JAXP 1.1.3? I don't get it.

Having them separate is easier for integrators. Having them together makes it
easier to deploy if you don't have to play nicely with other libs. Sun can go
the second approach because they don't need to place nice with others as
Crimson will be in jdk1.4 IIRC and other libs will bre required to workaround
this

--
Cheers,

Pete