avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Composing components with excalibur component manager ...
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2001 11:14:53 GMT
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 21:37, Bachran, Michael wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got some questions on the excalibur component manager.
> Due to the framework I thought I unserstood it right that each composable
> component should only contain the components it needs/ it is allowed to use
> within its component manager.

In the ideal situation this is the case. Sometimes people take short cuts
though ;)

> Maybe I am missing something, but if I have a look at the code of ECM any
> composable component I add via addComponent(...) will be composed with
> 'this' means the ECM instance itself.
> Lets asume the following scenario:
>
> ( -> means 'uses' )
>
> A -> B
>    -> C
>    -> D
>
> B -> E
>    -> F
>
> C -> G
>
> ECM_A should be the container I want to compose A with. If I add B and C to
> ECM_A they will get a reference of ECM_A but they shouldn't.
> Shouldn't B i.e. be composed with another ECM having E and F?
>
> What am I missing?

Nothing.

ECM evolved from the needs of the Cocoon2 project originally. In that project
they do not declare "uses"/"dependencies" relationships and thus there was no
way to determine that component C did not use component B. Thus why it was
built that way.

--
Cheers,

Pete