avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] ComponentValidator
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2001 08:20:16 GMT
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 08:37, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> The ComponentValidator code has been fixed yet again.  It's real home
> belongs in Framework, and I propose to move it to Framework in the
> following package:
>
> org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentValidator
>
> This tool is used to verify the contracts of a Component's life cycle.  It
> is invaluable for development.  Do not vote in the negative if you just
> want to be a PITA, or if you will not use it.  Vote in the negative if
> there is some stronger architectural or design issue at steak.

-1

It encourages bad practices - as exhibited by your dangerous fantasy that
this will somehow make the application more secure.

Verifying the lifecycle stages is a responsability of the container writer.
If you want to write a tool that makes it easy for the container writer to
write tests then go for it. Making sure the container is operational is not
the component writers responsibility.

So far I haven't seen any argument that I would call legitimate for even
using it - let alone encouraging its wide use. If you really want it in
framework then feel free to chuck it in a proposal directory on the condition
that it doesn't appear in source or binary form in the upcomming release.
Maybe you can convince me after release (using logic).

Besides I am a PITA and I won't use it ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete