avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reasons for converting to Avalon
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2001 08:00:43 GMT
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 07:46, Paul Hammant wrote:
> (or starting a new project on Avalon)
>
> There are quite a few people here who are new to Avalon or working on
> their own Avalon dependant applications. Could as many people as
> possible contribute a short list of reasons why they are using or like
> Avalon's Framework, Excalibur or Phoenix.

I use different bits for different reasons. I use logkit, and parts of
excalibur just got because they are little components that fill a small
focused need. I try to stay away from components with two many dependencies.

When I use Phoenix it is mainly just because of the ease of development and
RAD like features it provides.

I use Framework so I have to think less. Usually if I am doing something
stupid Framework will make it difficult for me ;) Usually this alerts me to
the fact that I should be doing it a different way (whether I actually do it
a different way is another thing altogether). That said there is areas in
Framework I don't like and have never used or only use rarely - But because
it is relatively easy to ignore those bits - I do ;)

> I'm motivated by the "as much as possible serving from one VM", but am
> interested to know what others like.  I have trouble convincing people
> to port to or start with some aspect of Avalon for their server
> component. I have just managed to interest Alexis Agahi in Avalon for
> his excellent Jabber Server app, so all is not so bad.

kool - link ?

--
Cheers,

Pete