avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving Component Util
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 20:12:14 GMT
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 06:35, Leo Sutic wrote:
> [...]

Hope not. Every time some experimentzation gets done in Framework it almost
invariably

> While we are
> still developing the next version the code will by necessity be unstable
> and untested. Maybe you mean that with a release this close, no new code
> should have been checked in?

I think it should be checked into the proposal directories and then WHEN it
is stable and it has achieved enough votes it can be moved to the main tree.
Everytime someone starts messing with fundamental things and buggers it up my
nightly builds go haywire.

Backwards compatability was thrown to the wind when experimentation occured
on COnfiguration stuff - enough that I just turned off my nightlies. WOuldn't
it be better that backwards compatability had been kept, experimentation done
in a branch, another tree and then merged across?

Quite a bit of stuff gets added into Framework when it SHOULDN'T be. I was
forced to back out changes at one stage because they had been -1'ed but not
removed, framework breaks backwards compatability a few times - breaking some
of my builds (interesting effect for a supposedly stable API), and recently
it didn't even compile.

None of these things should occur.

> > I hope you are not suggesting this is good programming practice?
>
> It is.

If you believe that then I guess we are going to have to agree to differ.

--
Cheers,

Pete