avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Gerhard Froehlich" <g-froehl...@gmx.de>
Subject RE: [AvalonDB] soapification <> rmification
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2001 15:58:24 GMT
Paul
>>I extended the glue class. Now it should
>>create and install the remote object.
>>
>>side question:
>>when I extend the my class from a some
>>object and not from AbstractLogger, how
>>can I get the Logger???
>>
>That's really cool dude.  As you say we've lost loggable, be there is an
>interface we can impl for that to get it back.
Great to have it back...
>A few problems:
>
>1) Can't call it glue as it clashes with the SOAP service of the same name.
Ok, then I can name it different. I just took the same name as the SOAP
service (didn't thought much...).
Hmm copy and paste isn't always best...
>2) you're setting this up as a basic cornerstone block.  We'll need a
>service an RMIification service (which you've implemented by not supplied).
Uups, really. Should be in the zip file...
>3) I am not sure it will work to the same level as Glue does by taking
>*any* interface and publishing that.  All interfaces handled over RMI
>must implement RemoteException (sucks IMHO).
>4) We should really have a fully completed block before booking it into
>cornerstone.  You've left some hopeful TODOs.
>Having said all of that it, like SOAPification hints at a way to "value
>add" an existing service for remote use.  This overlaps with a long
>running discussion on how to generally publish servics over RMI.  Loads
>of options and much debate.  I still owe Peter a re-read of one of his
>emails and a considered reposnse (will do soon Peter).
>In summary, if we do this, I think we can put the class in transport.rmi
>like SoapDatabaseManager...  It will work there and not interfere with
>long terms plans for RMI enablement of services. A very interesting
>solution though..  One that we coul use for other blocks (FtpServer,
> James Etc.)
Ok I see, this proposal needs some more thoughts as a 30min hack :). But
it was just a proposal and for me a exercise to get familar with phoenix,
cornerstore, blocks and stuff. I'm more that kind of dev who try, fail
and learn (ask the people from the cocoon2 project :)).
Of course it is not a valid cornerstore block and I only wanted some
new impressions to get behind the scene. And I got it, thanx for the
patience, mate.

Let's put that RMI stuff, as you proposed, in our AvalonDB packages.
And maybe we can indentify a more generic solution later.

Thanx a lot

Gerhard