avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Gerhard Froehlich" <g-froehl...@gmx.de>
Subject RE: JDBC setCatalog(..)
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2001 12:06:03 GMT
>Kasper, Gerhard,
>
>>>"catalogs" are the same as "databases".
>>>

>>well not quite (perhaps in java/jdbc world),
>>A catalog is used for storing the complete definition of the various
>>database structures and constraints (meta-data), ie it doesn't contain data.
>>
>Hazy memory: I think this is the system catalog.
Yupp in DB2, under Oracle schema.
>How about the "path" concept is catalog, with tables, views etc inside
>that.  We also have a catalog "*SYSTEM" that contains the meta-data tables.
>
>Would that work?
Getting confused now (One word, many meanings).
Ok then catalogs are databases. That would be similar to MySQL.
There you have a system database/catalog with tables for user,hosts,etc...

But it has nothing to do with DB2s system catalog and to Oracle schema definition?

Am I with you??

Cheers
Gerhard