avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Gerhard Froehlich" <g-froehl...@gmx.de>
Subject RE: Newbe Questions about Components
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2001 01:35:13 GMT
>Hi Paul.  Thanks for your reply.
>
>> You know then that Framework and Excalibur are the subprojects of
>Avalon
>> that you are going to use.  Pheonix itself os not really best used in
>> webapp.  I guess you knew that,
>
>Yes.  I am at a stage where I am concerned with understanding how to
>correctly apply Framework and Excalibur.
>
>> >The first Component I moved over was a DataSource component.  Pretty
>> >straightforward.  But now, in order to access my DataSource
>component,
>> >do all classes that perform a database operation need to be a
>composable
>> >component?  On the same thought, do any classes that need to access
>the
>> >logging facility also need to be components?
>> >
>> No, not all classes need to be components.
>
>That is what I thought, but could you elaborate more here?  How would my
>non-component classes access component services like logging and
>datasource?
>
>I didn't see any documentation about how to use the
>ExcaliburComponentManager from within a servlet environment.  I created
>a singleton class called ComponentContainer that uses the
>ExcaliburComponentManager.  Is this the common way to do set this up?

a very good example is the cocoon project.
www.xml.apache.org/cocoon
They're using the Avalon framework very well and they using the
ExcaliburComponentManager within a ServletContainer. But you have
to take look in the code ;-). Look at the class
  org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
and
  org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.