avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Avalon Developer Tools
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2001 19:57:25 GMT
On 11/15/01 2:33 PM, "Berin Loritsch" <bloritsch@apache.org> wrote:

> It would be handy to have some developer tools that don't cost an
> arm and a leg.  My question is first, "Does anyone know if these tools
> exist?", and second, "If not, are we interested in a subproject to
> house them?".  Until we upgrade, we can use the Avalonia project that
> we have at SourceForge to handle these things.
>
> 1) Database definition managment.  It would be Really Great (TM) to
>   have a tool that took an XML representation of a group of tables
>   and views, and spat out the DB specific SQL commands to generate
>   the database.  It would be even better if this tool could be
>   embedded in ANT!  The other side of the tool would be the GUI that
>   you used to create the XML markup.  Another Really Great (TM) thing
>   would be to handle the initial values that needed to be inserted
>   into the database to make it useable.

The Torque code has been decoupled from Turbine and Martin Poeschl and
myself are currently writing a testbed to find the problems that are still
present in the code. I'm working on making the connection pool pluggable and
we are moving toward using the design of Scott Ambler to make Torque a
general persistence layer.

What little documentation there is can be found here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/torque

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl