avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] ComponentUtil
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 18:31:39 GMT
The following snippet is supposed to describe how ComponentUtil was envisioned
to perform.  Unfortunately, Java does not pass primitives by reference, but
by value.

public class SimpleComponent implements Component, Initializable {
     final int m_mask;
     int m_state = 0;

     public SimpleComponent()
     {
        m_mask = ComponentUtil.getMask(this);
     }

     public void initialize () throws Exception
     {
        ComponentUtil.checkInitialized(m_state);

        //do stuff
     }
}

If we do not like this usage pattern, then we should choose once and for all
whether to provide it or not.

Include ComponentUtil?

Since it is broken and I really want to get Avalon Framework 4.1 out the door,
I vote -1, remove it.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin