avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Non Blocking IO for Cornerstone
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 22:25:53 GMT
I am almost done with the first iteration of Non-Blocking IO for Cornerstone.
I will commit it as soon as I can get it to compile :p.  That way anyone who
wants to play with it can--although it probably doesn't work.

There is one more abstraction to the whole Connection paradigm to really make
Non-Blocking IO effective.  The reason is that the read/write mechanisms require
the user to know what on earth they are doing.  It would almost be better to
have a higher-level block that only has the read/write/close methods available.
However, this is probable best as a JDK 1.4 only thing as I would like to take
advantage of a pool of DirectByteBuffers that further speed up communication.
If the communication is done via char arrays, byte arrays, or strings, we might
be able to provide an abstraction--but the issue remains that we still incur
a copy overhead.

Maybe we can hash it out later....

--

"Those who would trade liberty for