avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Excalibur DataSource Management
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:10:27 GMT
Christian Trutz wrote:

> At 08:48 15.11.2001 -0500, you wrote:
> I have ranted and raged about this driver.  In the end I have only one
>
>> recommendation:  NEVER USE THE ODBC-JDBC BRIDGE FOR ANYTHING!
>

> Ok I now, it's not a good idea using a ODBC-JDBC bridge but I must use
> MS Access 97 as database (the customer say this), do you know a JDBC
> driver for this database????

ooh!  I hate that.  I've ranted and raged about that as well.  The question
is: "Is it a requirement to have a small database deployed with the application
as a file, or is it officially none other than the bane of all serious db
development (MS Access)?".

If it is a requirement for a fully contained product with the database included,
then I would suggest HSQL as is packaged with Cocoon.

If you are STUCK without remedy on MS Access, I feel for you.  There is no
alternative to ODBC-JDBC driver.  In that case I would be VERY careful HOW
you design that database!  If you do it in any other fashion than would work
on a real database, you have just screwed yourself.  Access let's you do many
things that a real database won't--and they make it so easy to do that with.
NEVER use the "memo" or OLE object types, and NEVER let the database get over
30-40MB in size.  Access has a way of self-imploding at that size.

I have had the fortunate experience of succesfully convincing customers that
developing for Access is a dead end street, and converting to a real database
later will introduce huge hidden costs.  I also convinced my CTO that we should
never concider developing against Access again--even as a "rapid prototype"
solution.  My points were driven deeply home when I had the task of migrating
our products to Informix and Oracle databases.  First I had to collect all
the different access databases and merge the differences (there was one per
developer, and our change list sheet was never filled out).  Then I had to
redesign the relationships in the databases so that they were more efficient,
and would actually work in the real RDBMSs.  Next, I had to enforce the
naming scheme we use across the company.  Lastly, we had the pain of migrating
the application to the new queries that were necessary.  It took four man-months
to accomplish (four developers 1 month).

It's just something to chew on.

--

"Those who would trade liberty for
  temporary security deserve neither"