avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject [proposal] API change for Cornerstone socket handling
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:47:21 GMT
The way we have the Socket handling API for Cornerstone does not provide
us the flexibility to upgrade to non-blocking IO when it is available.
I propose making the change from this:

     public void connect( String name,
                          ServerSocket socket,
                          ConnectionHandlerFactory handlerFactory )

to this:

     public void connect( String name,
                          String host,
                          int port,
                          ConnectionHandlerFactory handlerFactory )

The change is using a host/port pair instead of the ServerSocket/Socket for
the APIs.  One of the benefits of Non blocking I/O is an optimization of
multiple sockets being handled in one thread!

This allows the interface to be consistent now and when JDK 1.4 is finally
released.  It also allows us to take advantage of a JDK 1.4 environment
when it is available--without rewriting our apps!

--

"Those who would trade liberty for
  temporary security deserve neither"