avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [phoenix] RT: ClassLoader hierarchy
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 09:39:14 GMT
Ulrich,

>>For the sake of example - can we talk in terms of Jesktop (my bizarre
>>GUI app hoster).  Jesktop hosts GUI apps that need Swing, some
>>DesktopKernel access and some "Frimble" access for abstraction of
>>Windowlike containment.
>>

>Sorry for this potentially dumb question: is Jesktop the way to
>integrate GUI apps into an Avalon setup? We have several GUI apps, but
>they are running seperately from our Avalon-based backend services.

It's a way.  Jesktop is controvercial.  Very in fact.  With Rana's
FtpServer we have an admin console that works in two ways : 1)
standalone executable jar 2) Jesktop dependant app.  Both are the same
jar, and use RMI to interoperate with the server.  Jesktop supports hot
app installation and de-instalation, but is not ideal for a Phoenix
instance you intend to run for days un-interrupted.  For me its more
about a PDA OS.

Regards,

- Paul H