avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [AvalonDB] soapification <> rmification
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2001 15:20:54 GMT
Gerhard,

>I extended the glue class. Now it should
>create and install the remote object.
>
>side question:
>when I extend the my class from a some
>object and not from AbstractLogger, how
>can I get the Logger???

That's really cool dude.  As you say we've lost loggable, be there is an
interface we can impl for that to get it back.

A few problems:

1) Can't call it glue as it clashes with the SOAP service of the same name.
2) you're setting this up as a basic cornerstone block.  We'll need a
service an RMIification service (which you've implemented by not supplied).
3) I am not sure it will work to the same level as Glue does by taking
*any* interface and publishing that.  All interfaces handled over RMI
must implement RemoteException (sucks IMHO).
4) We should really have a fully completed block before booking it into
cornerstone.  You've left some hopeful TODOs.

Having said all of that it, like SOAPification hints at a way to "value
add" an existing service for remote use.  This overlaps with a long
running discussion on how to generally publish servics over RMI.  Loads
of options and much debate.  I still owe Peter a re-read of one of his
emails and a considered reposnse (will do soon Peter).

In summary, if we do this, I think we can put the class in transport.rmi
like SoapDatabaseManager...  It will work there and not interfere with
long terms plans for RMI enablement of services. A very interesting
solution though..  One that we coul use for other blocks (FtpServer,
 James Etc.)

Regards,

- Paul H