avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [phoenix] Mock UI for Management Console
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2001 12:47:05 GMT
On Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:29, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > I have a kinda different view. IMHO all GUI apps should be designed to be
> > passive - only respond to events. Whether the initiater of these events
> > is a user, a database or whatever should be irrelevent.
> >
> > Unfortunately this is rarely the case - most GUI apps put their logic
> > inside their event handlers (ug) rather than separating it into separate
> > logic components. Because of this the view code becomes so interwoven
> > with the logic most people assume it has to be this way ;(
>
> I believe you're saying that instead of responding to XML data the GUI
> could also respond to events and that would be an equivalent model of a
> data-driven application. I think that is correct in specific cases, but
> consider the content of events and XML data. An event is something like
> "Button 3 pressed" or "Pull-down menu 1, item 4 activated" - an
> inherently layout-oriented process.

Not how I model it ;) My events (maybe the term action would be better)
usually consist of things such as

* list people in crew X
* remove person 2 from crew X
* create task X
* create task X with params 1, 2 and 3
* create crew template X from crew 2
* dispath crew 1 to task 3

I try to separate my domain events/actions/whatever completely from my
presentation layer. GUI events only serve as glue and I usually just extract
all the parameters from them and delegate to the "real" event.

> If I write XML that encodes these
> events, then that's just a matter of putting angle brackets around the
> events. In that case there is a conceptual equivalency between events
> and XML data. However, I think that XML data makes it possible to use a
> semantically richer event content that is not layout-oriented, but
> data-oriented. Then, every time I change the data model, the GUI would
> adapt automatically.

agreed.

--
Cheers,