avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Integrating Cocoon (was: Access to Application ClassLoader from a Block?)
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2001 07:44:09 GMT
On Mon, 26 Nov 2001 01:32, Uli Mayring wrote:
> I was planning something like that for a long time, too. When I asked on
> cocoon-dev about the way to go the relevant people said that I should
> take care to not violate IoC and to not deconstruct Cocoon in a way that
> would make it unrecognizable as a project of its own.

I don't think that was it. I think the idea was don't change Cocoon into
something it is currently not and still call it Cocoon. I don't think there
would be too much hubub if you created a new product that fit with your goals
but didn't call it cocoon. You could call it something like "Butterfly, grown
out of Cocoon" or something if you really wanted ;)

> The majority of people, who spoke out on this issue, thought that I should
> not call a Cocoon component from my other components, but that I should
> have Cocoon call my other components. This is to preserve IoC, a
> "Cocoon block" would violate it, as it can be called from outside.

A Cocoon block would not necessarily break IOC. Essentially Cocoon is
architectured with a single container which contains a master controller. The
master controller being the Sitemap. If you wanted alternative control
mechanisms then I suspect you could replace the sitemap object. I am not sure
how feasible this is at this stage (oe even if it is possible) but that is
one way you could write your own control portion of the app. The cocoon
people may even be receptive to that ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete