avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [phoenix] Mock UI for Management Console
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2001 10:27:34 GMT
On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 21:03, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Peter,
>
> GUI - Good enough as is to put into code.

Good enough is never good enough. If you have criticisms then I would prefer
to hear about them earlier rather than later - it will mean less work for me
;)

> You're missing a nav bar...
>
>     Home > Regional > Countries > Australia > States and Territories >
> Victoria > Cities and Regions > Melbourne
>     (
> http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/Countries/Australia/States_and_Territories/Vi
>ctoria/Cities_and_Regions/Melbourne/ )
>
> ... but other than that it is fine.

It was a deliberate choice to not have one. See assumption 3 ;) I had a think
and I can only see an admin focusing on one aspect at a time - ie either
Phoenix Server as a whole or Application as a whole.

As such I can't really see a need for any nested navigation bar. At most you
will have a maximum of two levels for any screen like

The list of all the possible paths in the top level screen is

applications/create
applications/list
applications/query
extensions/create
extensions/list
extensions/query
logs/create
logs/list
logs/query

ConfigurationRepository
LogManager
PackageRepository
SystemManager

While the list of all the possible paths in the Application is

configuration/list
configuration/edit
service/list
service/view
logs/create
logs/list
logs/query
permissions/create
permissions/list
permissions/query

So you can see you never deep in any editing tree so I am not sure I see any
advantage to a navbar. What you think about that ?

> >Anyways I plan to put the basic infrastructure in place sometime in next
> > few weeks. Possibly next weekend. Basically it will consist of a servlet
> > that connects to the MBeanServer via a RMI adaptor and presents a little
> > data to user and maybe a few of the options. However it wont be much for
> > now - unless of course someone wants to volunteer to do that bit ;)
>
> I am quite interested in the RMI API.  I'd like to start a Swing
> management console that could be opened inside Jesktop (or standalone).
>  I'd also like to make beanshell commands for the functions you are
> offering:
>
>     james = PhConnect("localhost:8231","admin","password");
>     james.start();

Well it is just standard JMX code where you also have to catch a
RemoteException aswell. It is a bit ugly but it is likely that the majority
of server console is done via a reflection API style code. Anyways heres the
JMX snippet

final ObjectName object = new ObjectName(":type=deployer");
final String method = "deploy";
final Object[] args = new Object[] { "file:///opt/avalon/ftpserver.sar"};
final String argTypes = new String[] { "java.lang.String" };
mBeanServer.invoke( object, method, args, argTypes );

It should be usable now. To enable Leos work just startup Phoenix with the
"--remote-manager" option. Unfortunately at this stage there is no sample
client code but hopefully I will get to this next week.

--
Cheers,

Pete