avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xdocs for cornerstone/apps/*
Date Sat, 24 Nov 2001 11:20:42 GMT
On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 22:08, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Peter,
>
> I trying again to get xdocs building for sub-projects in apps.  I'm not
> having much luck.
>
> I've installed Ant and added the two missing jars. ( I prefer the
> built-in route to be honest )

So do I in some ways but it

> *Achievments*
>
> 1) In jakarta-avalon-cornerstone/apps/hsql/ "ant xdocs_alt" works as
> promised.

kool.

> 1) In jakarta-avalon-cornerstone/  doing "ant hsql xdocs_alt" leaves
> ${apps-target}unset.  The build.bat/sh file was setting this.
>
>     I guess this is indicating that all permutations must be expanded
> into targets in the top level :-(

or don't use the top level file to build projects that are largely
independent ? I don't ;)

I don't think you should be running the hsql build from the base directory
but from in the hsql directory.

I was thinking about splitting the cornerstone build.xml into files. One just
built cornerstone while the other would be a controller for all the projects
build files. So if you wanted to rebuild all the projects (ftpserver, db,
hsql, cornerstone, jesktop, etc) then you would do something like

ant -f all.xml clean main

or similar. Thoughts?

> 2) In jakarta-avalon-cornerstone/  doing "build hsql xdocs_alt" leaves
> ${tools.dir}still relative, but wrong.  I've tried passing the property
> up like so...
>
>   <target name="hsql" depends="compile" description="Delegates to
> build.xml in apps/hsql">
>     <ant antfile="build.xml" dir="apps/hsql" target="${apps-target}"
> inheritall="false">
>       <property name="tools.dir" value="../../${tools.dir}"/>
>     </ant>
>   </target>
>
> ... but it is not changing anything, the property is still relatively
> wrong.
>
> Any ideas?

Yep - don't use "value" to define the location of tools dir but instead do
something like

<property name="tools.dir" location="blah"/>

This will resolve the tools directory completely. On my box the tools.dir
property would evaluate to

/opt/avalon/jakarta-avalon/tools

rather than just

../jakarta-avalon/tools