avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Excalibur DataSource Management
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2001 21:18:40 GMT
On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 02:10, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Christian Trutz wrote:
> > At 08:48 15.11.2001 -0500, you wrote:
> > I have ranted and raged about this driver.  In the end I have only one
> >
> >> recommendation:  NEVER USE THE ODBC-JDBC BRIDGE FOR ANYTHING!
> >
> > Ok I now, it's not a good idea using a ODBC-JDBC bridge but I must use
> > MS Access 97 as database (the customer say this), do you know a JDBC
> > driver for this database????
>
> ooh!  I hate that.  I've ranted and raged about that as well.  The question
> is: "Is it a requirement to have a small database deployed with the
> application as a file, or is it officially none other than the bane of all
> serious db development (MS Access)?".

for me MS access is the only choice due to client policy from on high ;(

> If you are STUCK without remedy on MS Access, I feel for you.  There is no
> alternative to ODBC-JDBC driver.  In that case I would be VERY careful HOW
> you design that database!  If you do it in any other fashion than would
> work on a real database, you have just screwed yourself.  Access let's you
> do many things that a real database won't--and they make it so easy to do
> that with. NEVER use the "memo" or OLE object types, and NEVER let the
> database get over 30-40MB in size.  Access has a way of self-imploding at
> that size.

oh yer. I just finished fixing just that. We changed DB from access to sql
server. It was expected to take 2 man days ... ended up taking 20 man days.
Mainly as out peer layer had a few access-specific issues. If it wasn't for
the ease of juniting the system I suspect it could have easily taken 2-3
times longer to fully test and integrate system. Blech

--
Cheers,

Pete

"abandon all hope , ye who enter here" - dante, inferno