avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IDEs
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:14:21 GMT
On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 07:18, Eric Medlock wrote:
> Does emacs have integrated syntax checking (not just
> highlighting but actual checking...)?

partially. It will miscolour bad code. But unfortunately it will also
miscolor code that does not conform to java code naming idioms. Apparently
with the latest JDE (Java Dev Environment for Emacs) this will work but I
don't use it and turn of all those features ;) It also has all the nice code
completion features but again I turn them off so I don't know how good they
are ;)

>I could give up
> a lot of features of IDEs but not syntax checking and
> also the ability to have the code "parsed" and
> organized so that I can jump directly to what I want,

you mean a project window that allows you to jump to a class or a
method/variable in class. They have that (call it speedbar IIRC).

> visually. I've thought about emacs but those features
> are really important to me and being an emacs idiot I
> don't know if they are available.

emacs is a fairly powerful environment but it is in no way shape or form easy
to learn. In theory if I was to enable most of the things in emacs I could
get most of the kool features from IDEA - except for the surround
refactorings. Unfortunately it is so painful to configure (even having used
emacs for 5 years or so) I never got around to doing it ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete