avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: Hello all
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 01:30:15 GMT
On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 12:32:21PM -0800, Eric Medlock wrote:
> My name is Eric Medlock. I'm interested in seeing how
> I could help out on the Avalon Phoneix project.

Welcome! :)

> I have
> experience in Java, JSP, Perl, C/C++, Linux, Unix,
> etc. I know I've got a lot of
> work to do in order to get up to speed and begin
> contributing but it would be very helpful to know a
> few things, such as:
> A) How intense is current development?

On what scale? Probably best just to watch the CVS logs (on the
jakarta-avalon-cvs list) and judge for yourself. Watching commit logs is also a
good way to find out what areas are "active". If you're not subscribed, there's
a link at http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail2.html

> B) What do you recommend that I study "first" or
> rather what are the most important technical
> skills/etc. that I should know in order to be able to
> help.

Have you read the "Developing with Avalon" paper?

http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/developing/index.html

(please make a point of reading it in PDF, as Berin went to much effort to
generate that;)

> C) Anything else you think I need to know.

Ideally, start learning with Avalon in conjunction with something that uses it.
Perhaps something in Cornerstone's apps directory. The docs are severely
lacking in examples, so at first it's hard to see "what it's good for". Also,
if you have any questions, ask :) You're in good company.. half of us are
newbies pretending otherwise ;) The other half are deeply knowledgable, which
makes participating in this project very educational.

--Jeff