avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Summary of issues Avalon Framework 4.1
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:44:31 GMT
On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 07:34, Peter Donald wrote:
> > Namespace != location.  The Namespace should be
> > used to point to a validation class or schema of
> > some sort.  This allows us to support fully validatable
> > configuration trees.  This will be a future requirement,
> > but it should be the desired purpose.
>
> ahhh .. Now I understand the motivation for this change! ;) works for me.
>
> > Therefore, I propose we do away with the Namespace class
> > itself, and merely represent the Namespace with a String
> > showing the URI to a validation/proposed validation source.
>
> I could live with that I think. So under ant the namespace string will
> return the prefix. If Configuration was sucked from LDAP then it would
> include the "dc=some,dc=domain,dc=name,dc=org". However the standard format
> will be to include the http://jakarta.apache.org/cocoon/MyDTD_v1.0

Actually now I am back to not understanding ;)

Namesapce doesn't designate location of document but "location" of schema.
Where "location" just means a URI-like construct which may or may not be an
actually location. The schema referred to is implementation dependent - LDAP
directory Schemas vs XML Schema vs DTDs vs some rule based validation system
vs programatic validation (ala Ant).

So the question is now - how do we associate this string with the particular
schema technology? ie how do we know a URI designates an XSchema or a DTD or
an LDAP schem or whatever ?

--
Cheers,

Pete