avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is everyone happy with Namespace?
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2001 22:37:39 GMT
On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 09:23, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 01:23, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> > > Berin Loritsch a �rit :
> > >
> > > Namespace info and Configuration names are OK for me, but a few
> > > questions about the prefix validation in Namespace.equals() :
> >
> > what is validation meant to do ? Neither the policy or m_validate_prefix
> > seem to be used.
>
> Hmm.
>
> Ok the policy is supposed to be a flag to use the prefix during
> comparisons of Namespace objects or not.
>
> I.e.
>
> pre1:element
> pre2:element
>
> Where pre1 and pre2 are set to "test-uri/namespace"
>
> With m_validate_prefix set to true, the two namespaces would be
> considered different.  So .equals() would return false.
>
> With m_validate_prefix set to false, the two namespaces are
> considered the same (the all important URI is the same).  So
> .equals() would return true.

when would you want validate_prefix to be set to true? Doesn't that violate
basic principles of XML ? So I can think of a place I would like to use it
but then again that case is an ugly hack. Is there any legitimate uses for
this? ;)

> > > - is this good to have a static setting for this policy in a
> > > multi-thread/multi-app environment ?
> >
> > probably not.
>
> How often do you create new Namespace objects?
Every time you create a Config tree ;)

> Also, wouldn't you
> want the same policy accross the board?

no.

Example: when ant2 goes live and I finally commit my jobserver,
ant2/jobserver will possibly be using a different policy than main
phoenix.

> The Factory methods (.getNamespace(String)) can be extended to
> simply have a boolean to set the policy for the object.
>
> However you must keep in mind that multiple policies for comparing
> Namespace objects has unpredictable results.  (actually it will
> use the policy of the Namespace object on the left side of the
> argument).

you probably shouldn't be comparing namespace objects across domains anyway -
I would consider that an error in the code.

--
Cheers,

Pete