avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jo! on Phoenix
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2001 08:12:41 GMT
On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 19:41, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Hendrik Schreiber, the author of the excellent webserver Jo! has added
> Phoneix compatability as a feature.
>
> The homepage for Jo! is http://www.tagtraum.com/jo.html

fun.

Had a look at it and it has one of the best user manuals around - I was
shocked ;) Though it also has a book/license at the top of each source file
that is kinda ugly ;(

It looks like a much more "raw"/"to the metal" kinda servlet engine than
others (such as catalina). I guess that is speedier to serve request but I
expect it would also make it a little harder to maintain than a a more
layered design. Do you know if he plans to do servlet 2.3 ?

> Hendrik is keen to see a release of Phoenix (he is more or less
> compatabile with the latest CVS versions) *before* he lists the
> availability of the sar download.

sounds like a good idea. I can probably do a release sometime next week or at
latest next weekend. Before that time we need to make sure everything is good
and stable and the documentation has to be updated. But other than that we
should be fine.

> Actually that's the key point, he has
> done all the work himself with almost no help from me and wants to keep
> the code/libraries in his source tree.

kool.

> As for features, this is a full webserver with full war file webapp
> capability.  Not only that, but the deployment and undeployment of war
> files for hosts are exposed as a service :
>
>     public void deployWAR(String hostName, String name, String ctxPath,
> String warUrl) throws Exception;
>     public void undeployWAR(String hostName,String name) throws Exception;

excelent. Do you know off hand if he supports JNDI enc references. The reason
is that the one of the four remaining jobs to do before Phoenix goes beta is
to get a management console up and running. I was thinking that it would be
very very fun to have that as a .war file that had the MBeanServer passed in
via JNDI.

I have been looking at some products that have great web consoles recently
and want to try to do the same for phoenix ;)

> This is a really significant development.  Hendrik is "away from desk"
> for some days, but I'd like to be the first to welcome him to our
> commmunity.

Heya hendrik!

> Given that 'SAR-INF/lib' introduced major changes to Phoenix, could we
> think of another release and announcement?  The JAMES team might catch
> up at that time too.

works for me given above.

--
Cheers,