avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject Re: Avalon and J2EE : Best practices
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2001 09:55:13 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>
To: "Avalon Developers List" <avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2001 1:40 AM
Subject: Re: Avalon and J2EE : Best practices

> On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 12:15, Vincent Massol wrote:
> > > Anyways I am only just getting into serious EJB work so ... ;)
> >
> > good ... do you plan to use avalon with j2ee ?
>
> With j2ee - yes. A lot of the stuff is already integrated with J2EE APIs.
In
> particular the Framework and Excalibur parts of Avalon is easily used in
> servlets and RMI/CLI/GUI/Other clients. It also works great as an endpoint
of
> JMS messages.
>
> However with EJBs I am not sure. Most of the EJB stuff I have being
playing
> with is relatively standard buisness orientated stuff. Essentially
> manipulation of databases and as such there has never been any demand for
any
> of the Avalon components (excepting Logging).

Well, I have been designing and implementing e-business solutions with
J2EE/EJB for the past 3 years and I can tell you that for each project I had
to rewrite the equivalent of Avalon/Excalibur. Probably the main reason was
that my favourite architecture (on the business tier) has been facade
stateless session beans around standard java data access classes (manager
class to manage life cycle of data objects and JDBC service for the
persistence). You also need a consistent way of configuring your application
(you must not use the ejb deployment descriptor as they only convey config
parameter for the ejbs and your application also has standard classes,
servlets, ....). In total here are the services I have used on all projects
:

- jdbc wrapper
- jndi wrapper
- configuration
- logging
- java-xml mapping
- jms wrapper (not on all projects)

I had to use them so frequently, I decided to create an open source project
so that we could have everyone in the company improve it and benefit from it
on all our projects. We also expected to have outside review and help. We
put that framework on sourceforge and called it Babel. It looks very similar
with Avalon/Excalibur (although not as complete). We have now decided to
stop it and use Avalon instead.

> However I suspect in the future where we are going to need some XML
> manipulation utilities that I will be using Avalon components from EJBs.
How

<mailto:avalon-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>